Sunday, April 11, 2021

"The Dark Clouds of War -- Part Three

 


The Dark Clouds of War”


The Civil War Diary of John Zimmerman of Alexandria, Virginia (1861-1865) 

Transcribed, Edited and Narrated by Jack Sullivan


Foreword:  Beginning in 2012, I was tasked at the Historical Division of the Alexandria VA Library with transcribing into a computer the hand-written diary of John Zimmerman, a local confederate soldier who kept a diary throughout the five years of the Civil War.  While it was anticipated that the diary would be put on the library website, that did not occur and the sesquicentennial of the conflict has passed.  Believing that this fascinating document is worthy of more attention, I have prepared a summary in seven parts that will be posted here every four days  throughout April.


Part Three:  Hunted, Captured and Interrogated


Following the first battle of Fredericksburg, John Zimmerman and the 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment spent that winter in a number of locations in central Virginia, seeing little action. In the spring, the unit would be part of the inconclusive siege of the Union garrison at Suffolk.  Later the men were camped for a time near Hanover Junction. In his entry for May 25, 1863, at that location Zimmerman recalled that it had been exactly two years before that he had left Alexandria to fight for the Confederacy:


What a flood of memories come trooping through the mind as I recall the incidents of that (to us) memorable day.  Our being aroused about light in our barracks.  The hasty packing of knapsacks and falling into the hurried march through the streets to the Lyceum.  The assembling of the different commands.  Then the sound of the Yankee drums approaching.  Quick step, our march up Prince Street and on through West End.  The passing my home, with my Mother and sisters waving me on.  The stopping of the trains.  Our embarking and our arrival at Manassas and the entering of the soldier's life.  And then follows the long, long train of thoughts of all I have passed through since that day and with these thoughts come the deep feeling of gratitude to Him who has cared for me and preserved me through them all and an earnest prayer that He will continue to do so to the end. 


In June 1863 Zimmerman’s brigade was detached from Lee’s Army and sent to multiple locations in Virginia where Yankee attacks were feared.  At the same time General Lee (“Marse Robert”) and General Longstreet (“Old Pete”) -- as Zimmerman often called them --moved through Virginia and invaded Maryland and ultimately Pennsylvania.  As a result, the Alexandria private missed the major battles at Second Manassas and Gettysburg.  On June 30, 1963, he was, as he recorded, “again moving,” this time to Richmond:


Since reaching the depot a number of our Alexandria friends have come up to see us.  Lt McKnight and the fine men who were captured at the South Anna Bridge - and who escaped - have rejoined.  As they were being conducted to the rear after being captured, when they noticed a small body of our men they immediately broke from the guard and ran toward our men, holding up a white handkerchief as they ran.  The guard did not pursue them or fire on them and so they escaped, to their great joy.


As Lee’s army retreated from Gettysburg in early July 1863, Zimmerman’s brigade was quickly sent north toward Winchester to help guard passes in the Blue Ridge Mountains where, it was feared, the pursuing Union Army would pour into the Shenandoah Valley.  He arrived on the scene on July 21, 1863, a day he recounted at length:



This has indeed been a eventful day to me, more than any other day of my life.  Adventure.  Danger and fatigue.  A hurried march.  Fording two streams.  Toiling up the mountain.  A lively race down.  Pursued by cavalry.  

Hiding in the bushes.  Captured. Questioned. Threatened.  And in all, a prisoner under guard, and wondering what will be next.  


All were aroused before light this morning in our bivouac at Cedarville.  Then a hurried breakfast and about light the Brigade moved off briskly, taking the road for Front Royal.  Soon we heard from some of our Cavalry the enemy had possession of Snickers, Ashby, and Manassas Gaps in the Blue Ridge and were now moving across to Chester Gap and that we were being hurried over to get possession of the latter Gap.  Pushing on we reached the North and South Branches of the Shenandoah River, both of which were very high and the currents strong and rapid - particularly in the latter.  Several (myself among the number) came near drowning.  Gen Corse and his staff and the field officers of the Brigade being mounted rode about in the streams and rendered valuable assistance in rescuing the men  who were being carried down by the strong currents.  My blanket, haversack, rations and ammunition got soaking wet when I was carried down.  Some lost various articles that were dropped in the river as they struggled in the swift current or rocky bed of the river.  


After crossing we met a portion of a Brigade of Cavalry who had been driven from Ashby's Gap on yesterday by the superior numbers of the enemy. From them we heard our cavalry still held Manassas and Chester Gap, though the enemy were hourly expected to arrive there.  Pushing on we passed through the town of Front Royal and after getting a short distance beyond the town my regiment was ordered to take the road leading up to Manassas Gap while the rest of the Brigade moved on to occupy Chester Gap.  


After marching about a mile and a half Co's “B” & “C” were detached and sent over on another road to Wappen to establish a picket.  We then were moved a short distance when we were halted and Co's “E,” “G” my Co “A” were detailed for picket under the command of Capt James Stewart of Co. “E.”  The remaining companies were held at this point for a reserve.  The three Cos under Capt Stewart then continued on up the Gap.  After marching about two miles over the rough winding mountain road and when near the top where we were to establish the picket, we discovered away off to our right on the mountainside a body of cavalry about three quarters of a mile off from us.  Some said they were Yanks; others, they were our men.  Capt S thought they were Confederates but ordered to “halt, close up and load.”  But before we could do so, we saw plainly they were the enemy and that they had discovered us and were moving down on us and were also making signals to others in their rear to come on.  I omitted to say that our road up the Gap skirted the mountain on the leftwards and on the right open country extending across towards Chester Gap.  It was through this open country the enemy's cavalry was moving down on us.  So Capt S gave the order to fall back into the woods and move rapidly back to the reserve.  And this we did.   Some, I with them, thought we could make better time in the road along the woods, kept part of the time in the woods and then in the road.  We were now all quite exhausted after toiling up the mountain and the long race down.  Some went further back into the woods thinking the cavalry would not follow them. 


I did the best I could to reach the reserve-some times in the woods and then would try the road.  I soon became completely exhausted and hearing the clatter of the horsemen just behind realized my only hope of escape was hiding in the thick scrubby bushes and taking advantage of a sudden sharp bend in the road,  I sprang into the woods and crept under a thick cluster of young pin oaks.  I had scarcely laid down under their friendly shelter when the Yanks came galloping up shouting and swearing at a furious rate.  Rounding the bend in the road they halted just opposite me.  Posted two men.  Formed line and charged down toward our reserve and soon I heard them popping away at our boys and they cheering and returning their fire very lively.  And soon the minnies were singing merrily over and about me but I had only to lay close to avoid them or as our boys would say, “lay low and grab a root.”  But at times thought it likely a stray minnie would find me.  That which I objected to was being shot by my friends.  Late another detachment came up and charged down in column and this continued until the whole regiment was send forward.  Later on I heard a movement in the undergrowth and raising myself slightly on my elbows, I saw a line of dismounted cavalry moving as skirmishers obliquely through the woods.  The line swept by me within a few feet of me but not one saw me.  I scanned their faces closely as they moved by and must say I never saw a more nervous, scared lot of men.  I owed my escape to their moving obliquely past me.  [If] I had two or three of our men with me and we had given one good rebel yell in the woods, I believe the whole line would have taken to their heels.


Probably about an hour later a mounted officer from the front rode back through the woods with pistol from his holster in hand.  He halted two or three paces from the brushes under which & putting spurs to his mount moved off, to my great delight.  My safety lay in his fixing his gaze directly in front at the open country.  If he had but half turned his head I do not think he could have failed to see me.  I certainly was happy he moved forward down to the road, leaving me unseen and undisturbed.  During all the time I could hear quite plainly the two troopers who had been posted by a big tree near me at the bend of the road, talking to each other.  About three P.M. another mounted regiment came forward.  This one moving across the great field in front and beyond the road [illegible] opposite me.  After having been passed and repassed so often without being seen, I felt quite safe and thought at night I would make my way through the woods into our lines and rejoin my regiment.  Just then too I thought I would take a look at the newcomers and so parted the bushes a very little. But it was my undoing and all my hopes were blasted by hearing a keen-eyed trooper exclaim, “There is a gray back under the bush.”   


They called to me to come over and surrender, so there was nothing left me but to do so.  But to say that I was mad but feebly expressed my feelings; I was mad all over and with that Regt and that keen-eyed trooper in particular.  And myself yet moreso for my imprudence in parting the bushes to look forward.  I arose and walked direct to the head of the regt., passing the cavalryman who had come forward for me.  Without speaking I walked up to a group of officers (the Adjt Lt Col & Col).  The Adjt asked me what Regt and Brigade I belonged to.  I said that the 17th Va and that I had no further information.  Another then began to question me but I refused to answer questions.  Then another, the Col I think, said they had captured a number of my regiment & began to question me but I refused positively to give any information.  The officers then laughed quite heartily, probably at my stubbornness & temper I showed and ordered one of the men to take me to the rear.  [End of Part 3]








No comments:

Post a Comment